Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sunday Funday #14


Hooray! It's time for another Sunday Funday link up! This December has really hit the ground running! It's been a busy week in Lower Alabama!

Matthew and Abi had a field trip with their gifted education class to the Exploreum in Mobile. There was a special exhibit about Australia that included live kangaroos, wallabys, and dingoes! The kids thought it was awesome. They had baby kangaroos and all kinds of really neat stuff from Australia. They've been studying Australia's history, art, and ecosystems for the last 2 months so, they were extra excited  that they got to see the exhibit!

My car is broken... my transmission died last Thursday. That sucks. Thankfully, my husband is super handy. Thank you Wyo Tech! So, he's fixing it but, we've been a single car family all week. I'm thankful that Dave is working 3rd shift so, I still have a car during the day. This is totally a #firstworldproblem and I know it. I don't have anything to gripe about. It'll get fixed. In the meantime, I just have to plan ahead a little more than I usually do.

I started a new job this week. Actually, it's the first paying gig I've had since I became a Mom a decade ago! ha ha! I'm teaching elementary school level "Intro to Game Theory". Basically, it's teaching kids to use logic based in games. Not video games. But actual board games that involve strategy. We're starting with chess and we'll move on to Othello and other logic games like that. I think games like that are a great way to teach children mathematically principals without making them feel like they're learning math. It's "sneaky math" because they're learning to use probablity and statistics without knowing it. The best part? It's at my children's school and I only work an hour a week. It's the best job ever. Jack comes with me and we play games for an hour and I get paid. The paycheck is lucrative enough that it's totally worth my time. But frankly, it's just fun to teach kids something new and watch them having so much fun.

OK so... you know the deal for the linky!

1. Please insert the Sunday Funday button from the sidebar in your post.
2. Please DON'T link up any giveaways!
3. Please PLEASE turn your captcha off!
4. Please go visit the other linked up posts and leave some comment love!
5. If you're on The Twitter, please tweet that you linked up to #SundayFunday and link your post there too!

6 comments:

  1. Dear cousin, what exactly is the captcha? I need to get better at this! You're going to be my first link up if I figure out how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ms. Megan... I msg'd you!!! I'm excited for you to join me! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new job. It sounds like it's going to be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amber... Thanks! I'm really excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sneaky Math seems to be the new trend..the second grade curriculum here anyway! Your new job sounds fun, I'm sure those kids will benefit with you being their guide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Coffee Lovin' Mom... Sneaky math is the new black! *snicker* And thanks. oxo

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me neighbor... whatcha think?