Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Trick for Taking Great Photos of My Kids

Anyone with a kid will tell you that it's hard to get a sweet photo of their little cupcake that is useable for Christmas cards. Anyone with MULTIPLE children will tell you that the difficulty of getting a great photo of all of them together multiplies exponentially by the number of children you have!

I have a trick for getting cute photos of the RiceCakes... all together... and smiling like this:

The ceremonial pre-Christmas Program RiceCake photo!

I take a whole bunch of photos and let 'em go nuts FIRST... like this:

They were pretending that they were on a roller coaster! AGH!
And this:

They're frightened... can't you tell?
And this:

They're vewwy vewwy angwy!
And this:

RiceCake Christmas Zombies


And this:


They're SO surprised that their Mommy is taking their picture!

So then, when I say, "OK, smile nicely please!"

They do!

This one makes my Mama-heart happy...
but I'm totally using a crazy one for my Christmas card!

Got any good tricks for getting good photos of your kiddos? I wanna hear about it!!!

10 comments:

  1. I have no trick. You've seen my kid's photos. He won't smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of letting them go wild, get all the crazies out, and THEN moving on to the sweet smiles. I'm going to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen our Christmas photo this year? You won't. Because by the time I got to nice smiles the baby had filled his pants and the four going on fourteen year old girl had a serious case of the 'I'm BOOOOOOORED's....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like getting all the wiggles out before the main photo. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carri... Blake's 2, I have PLENTY of pics of the RiceCakes (especially JACK) when they were 2 and totally making the "I refuse to smile" face. He'll snap out of it when he's not so obsessed with the word "NO!" :)

    @My Mercurial Nature... It really works well! They love taking the silly photos. They each pick a crazy face and laugh hysterically while I'm taking THOSE photos. I think that it makes their "nice smiles" more real because they've been laughing and are actually happy! Give it a whirl and come back and tell me if it worked!

    @Tam... you crack me up! I've got pics of my kiddos totally spazzing... posted here! http://meetmeatthefence.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-simple-made-plans-oft-run-awry.html It's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amber... EXACTLY! Go with what works... and in this case... I've learned that if I can be patient and let them be a little nuts... they'll cooperate and give me the NICE photo that I want. Besides, the crazy ones crack me up! I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea especially considering my daughter loves to make faces! Get all the sillies out then take the good one...genius

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting idea... let 'em go nuts 1st, *then* take the real pic. I'll have to try that this year. My two oldest are OK now, being 11 and 9, but my 3.5 year-old might take to this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks @Coffee Lovin Mom and @beefgriller! It took YEARS of feeling frustrated over trying to get a nice photo of them together (granted... there are only 4.5 years between the oldest and youngest RiceCake and those early years of quad-dom were tricky!) before I finally figured it out. Let me know if you try it with your kids AND it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a FANTASTIC idea!!

    I would totally use a crazy one for my card, too. :D

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me neighbor... whatcha think?