Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grammy's World Famous Bourbon Slushie

I'm linking up with Carri and Jessica for #SummerSmashed!


Photobucket


Anyone who's ever tweeted with me at #wineparty knows that I love bourbon. I'm not really into the brightly colored fruity drinks (totally NOT knocking the peeps who ARE!) but, I come by my love for bourbon honestly. It's genetic. My Grammy has been fixing bourbon slushies for decades. Some people ask little old ladies for their casserole recipes. People ask MY Grammy for her bourbon slushie recipe... and I think that's freaking hilariously, AWESOME. The drink is really light and the perfect summer concoction. You just have to be careful because it doesn't really taste like there's much hooch in it, but there IS. Go easy y'all... this can sneak up on ya and leave you passed out in a lawn chair if you're not careful!

Grammy's World Famous Bourbon Slushie
8 cups water
1 cup sugar
12oz can frozen lemonade
6 oz can frozen orange juice   
1 1/2 cups bourbon

Freeze and then enjoy!

My Grammy actually has a container that she makes bourbon slushies in. It's this square frozen yogurt container from the 80s that looks like glorified Tupperware. She makes a batch of the stuff and then just leaves it in the freezer so you can scoop it out whenever you want more. (I like how she thinks.) My favorite part of her recipe is when she says, "Make sure you add the right amount of bourbon. It'll freeze solid if there's not enough booze in it! What fun is that?"

There's a place I love down in Orange Beach, AL called Jake's Steakhouse & Grill. The food is great, especially after a day on playing on the white sand beaches in Gulf Shores. It's also not too pricey. They play great music and there's all kinds of cool stuff hung on the walls. My kids love the great white shark wearing a life preserver! It's big and open but, not loud. It's family-friendly but, not cheesy. I've never ordered anything that wasn't outright AWESOME. They give you a ton of food (we always go home with leftovers) and the staff is fabulous. They're friendly and kind without being obnoxious. We went there with the kids the day that we had our first pet-funeral (hardest day as a parent EVER!)... and the waiter brought them all banana pudding on the house!

One of my favorite things about Jake's is their drinks that come in a coconut head. It's really silly... the coconut head is a bank... but the drink names are just funny. My personal fave is called a Shark Bite... it's a strawberry pina colada. I already told ya that I'm not a huge fan of the fruity drinks... but I love Shark Bites! They make a better dessert than the banana pudding!

So there ya have it! One of these day, when all my bloggy buddies come visit... we're heading down to the white sandy beaches of Gulf Shores to hang out drinking Grammy's World Famous Bourbon Slushies in the sun and then heading to Jake's for some great surf & turf and Shark Bites!


19 comments:

  1. @Lenette... seriously, it's AWESOME. The bourbon slushies get made EVERY time there's a family gathering... and I feel like that's saying a LOT since my family owns a winery! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a bourbon kind of gal but that sounds FANTASTIC!! I should make it for my dad one of these weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carri... Dale would LOVE it! It's like the greatest frozen lemonade ever. Seriously... EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grammy sounds like a riot! And her Bourbon slushy sounds really good, even though I'm not a bourbon fan. I just might have to try it! :>

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Karen... My Grammy is awesome. She's so darn funny and just says what she thinks MUCH of the time. It's rad.
    And seriously, you don't have to love bourbon to like these slushies. It's what started my love of bourbon though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the names of those drinks at the restaurant. I'm so down to visit you for a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Gulf Shores!! Ive been to Jakes before! We ate there the last time I visited. We try to head there every other summer. Maybe next summer Ill meet you for a Bourbon slushie. It sounds SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had bourbon slushie once and got all jittery and weird. It was when I lived in GA. Made by a friend from AL!! She reminded me (the next day when I came to pick up the car I was too drunk to drive home) that it had "strong brewed tea" in it. I vowed never to drink it again! But maybe, this recipe could work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds perfect for summer!! Oh how I wish I wasn't pregnant because this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How Awesome does this sound?! Completely and totally awesome! I must try this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny! That's a bit like our Amaretto slushies! And my mom keeps hers in a big tupperware container too! It's like an alcoholic snowcone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm....never tried a burbon slushie...now I just might have to...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious and totally easy! Yummers on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We actually have Jack, SoCo, & Firefly in our house right now and I bet all 3 would be delectable in that recipe...as long as we add enough so that it doesn't freeze rock solid L O L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really good. Like... REALLY good. You'll forget that it's not just frozen lemonade... especially when it's hot outside!
    Consider yourselves WARNED!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, that slushie sounds AMAZING!!! My mouth is watering...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds yummy! My Hubs is a big bourbon guy - two cubes, no soda. It's always been a bit too smokey for me, but this concoction sounds DEE-lish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  18. Fence Contractors Seattle
    Fence Company South Seattle


    Custom Built Fences - custombuiltfencecompany.com

    Contact Us:>

    Call : (206) 459-1182
    Website: http://custombuiltfencecompany.com
    Leonard Bautista
    Owner/Operator
    Reg # CUSTOBF894RM

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me neighbor... whatcha think?